Sunday, March 1, 2009

Arguing with the professor

If you are reading this blog, you probably know that I think I am always right, and that I will defend my point until you prove me wrong. All done in a gentle and kind way, of course.

My database management professor was up at the board explaining the procedure for database normalization. It's that good of a class. But he was saying things that didn't exactly jive with the textbook. I quietly questioned him about that during a later portion of the class, and he kind of shrugged off my question. I returned to my seat, and repeated over and over to myself "Why are you here? Just to get a grade, just to get a grade". The mantra calmed me down, until the professor asked me to step to the board and demonstrate to the rest of the class. I said "Sure, but you aren't going to like it". I proceeded to step through the normalization process, but in a different way. And when he questioned my procedure, I quoted from the book, which I had the foresight to bring up with me, and explained that I thought his method was unnecessarily torturous.

I then proceeded to show that I could get the correct answer with half the trouble. Yes, always making friends, that's me.

He demonstrated his process AGAIN. And I finally got it. His method was more difficult, but it was also more reliable. I acknowledged his database mastery quite magnanimously to the rest of the class. And then I helped him fix his car in the parking lot, so I think we are friends again.

1 comment:

Matt "Hacksaw" said...

I don't care how reliable his is, your method is better. I've had to take some bitter pills myself this year brother, but at least it was your professor and not your classmates that were right.