Friday, December 10, 2010

Day Four

I woke up in the middle of the night a couple of times to check on Dad. He was sitting straight up in bed and had fallen over both times to the side. We'd straighten him up and thankfully he was sleeping well. I was so scared from yesterday and Tami had told us that we could give him a shot of Morphine and Larazepam to clear up his lungs...but the symptoms would return. He woke up this morning late and he was breathing fine with no coughing. It was a huge relief to me.
We gave him his pills and breakfast, which he didn't eat a lot of. Then left him to rest some more.
I went up to take a shower in Nat's amazing steam shower...it was awesome! We then gave Gavin a bath in Nat's jet tub, which he is totally scared of and probably won't get in again.
My childhood best friend, Traci Boulter came over to visit with her little girl, Allison. It was so good to see her and talk for a bit. Gavin had a great time playing with her. While she was here Tami dropped in, then the phychologist Alan and Brian stopped by as Traci was leaving. We even had a visit from the Hospice chaplin. He was really nice and turned out to be Mormon, not a surprise here.
Dad's congestion got bad again towards the end of the day. I wonder if the good times are a little gift and if the tough times are preparing me for the end. It is so rough and I am still very emotional.
Dad slept a lot of the day and his eating slowed down quite a bit. We gave him some dinner around 7:30 and his handful of pills by 8PM. He went to sleep shortly after and his breathing is still labored. I've been trying to tell him to let go and that it will be okay. We talked some about the things he wants me to have. It was nice to just sit and talk. I am savoring every minute with him.

No comments: