Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day Two

I can't believe I've been here for 2 days already. Taking care of Dad's needs is a full time job. The hospice assistant came. His name is Brian Maddox, is very nice and I found out that we have a connection...small world. He is the son of one of my favorite teachers at West Lake, Mr. Maddox. He takes care of the stuff we can't, showers/baths, changing his catheter and moving him if needed. He really cares for his patients and that means a lot to me. The RN Tami is totally nice too and I can tell she really cares for Dad too.
Have I mentioned how wonderful it is to be at Nat's house. I stopped by the nursing home he was at for a few weeks and it was very depressing. They are always short staffed and they probably can't help the fact that they give lack-luster care to their patients. I had to pick up a bag of his medicines, he is on like 10, and they didn't even ID me or ask who I was. They just handed them over, good thing I'm an honest person.
We washed his face today with a wash cloth. He tends to get really greasy so I also cleaned out his ears. Even in his dying days he has beautiful long white hair...a full head. I will probably take a lock of it when he's gone.
He ate and drank like a champion today. Everyone keeps saying that this was his best day in weeks. Nat kept joking that it was because I was here. I am so glad that I made it here and have gotten to spend some time with him.
Randy and his wife stopped by tonight to discuss medication and we talked about all kinds of stuff. It's the first time I've met his wife and they have been married for over 2 years. He brought the few physical belonging that Dad has to his name. The most precious to me is a portrait he painted of David O. Mckay. Dad wants me to have almost everything he has left, including grandma Jacobs' wedding ring. It means a lot to me because Dad has been wearing it for years. I am kind of sentimental about those things.
We gave Dad his pills tonight and remembered his Ambien this time. I hope he sleeps better tonight. We've been trying to roll him on his side a couple times a day to help prevent bed sores. I've been told he has one from them sliding him up and down in bed at the nursing home instead of lifting him up. Right now he says he isn't in any pain and isn't on any medication for pain. He is very easy and doesn't complain or ask for much of anything. The RN says he is a sweet heart, I seem to think the same thing.

No comments: