Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My memory is failing me!

So, I have a new empathy for an experience my parents went through when I was little. Here's the background story...

When I was in kindergarten, my mother worked full time at Zions Bank. After school I would walk to the babysitters house. (I think of that now and it baffles me that people let their kids do that kind of stuff back then) One day, I decided that I didn't want to go to the sitters, I wanted to see my mom. I have 3 older brothers and I had been on the back roads to my mom's work several times before. To give you a picture of the distance, I walked from the 4000 W block in West Valley to the 2700 W block by the Valley Fair Mall. (roughly 2 miles) The branch my mom worked at was located around several businesses and strip malls. I was walking through the parking lot, almost to my mom's work when I saw her driving away at a fast speed. I started bawling while I was standing in the parking lot. Luckily a member of our ward owned a boot store in the area and was the one to find me. He recognized me. He took me over to the bank and we waited for my mom to get to the sitters to call her. (Can you imagine being without a cell phone, especially when an emergency arises??)
Needless to say I'm surprised my parents made it through that day. I'm sure my mom was sick with worry. I learned latter that the sitter called her to tell her I hadn't gotten to their house. That's why she took off in the car.
Yesterday, I had my own scare with CJay. I've been sitting for a friend of ours and we were just finishing his snack time. I looked at the clock and it was 4:30PM. CJay is always home around 4PM, so I looked outside to see if he was playing with Conner and the neighbor kids. Nope. I called a friend who has a boy the same age and who goes to school with CJay. Her son was home and she offered to help. She drove the distance between the school and our house while I called the school. The bus was parked and he wasn't at the school. I started to panic. I think at that point all thought processes and reasoning goes right out the window. You could have told me I'd won a million dollars and I wouldn't have cared. I called Conner over so we could pile in the car to start looking...where...who knows. I said to my friend, "I don't think he would go to a friends without telling me." Conner says, "Yes he would, he's at the Cooper's house." It dawned on me at that moment that he had asked to go to their house to jump on the tramp. How could I have forgotten? I'd left Gavin in the car Saturday and he is still saying, "You locked me in." Where is my mind these days?

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Oh shoot! Sounds like a crazy day! I hope it went uphill from there, and I'm glad CJay was okay! I was getting nervous just reading about it.

Conni said...

He was at the Cooper's, she is my hero!

Matt "Hacksaw" said...

"You locked me in," that is so funny. I would delete that Chinese comment by the way, probably a link to somewhere you don't want to go.